For anyone interested in what’s happening in this part of the world for people starting something new or freelancing, here’s a few updates and stats to give you a general idea.
In the news
Including better work environments for freelancers, incentives for tech startups and contests/programs for community or local ideas.
- 15 Awesome Free Office Spaces For Freelancers, From Singapore To Brazil, Business Insider: Of the 15 photos selected, the one for Brazil seems to be by far the most fun, never a dull moment!
- Start-Up Chile seduces French entrepreneurs with Sun, Cash & Business-Friendly Government, Rude Baguette: Some different options that Chile is doing to help build a stronger new business environment.
- Caribbean Innovation Challenge contest well received, The Barbados Advocate: A program underway to help motivate new ideas for issues and concerns in the Caribbean. Over 500 teams are competing including 98 from Jamaica, 68 from Trinidad and Tobago, 38 from Haiti and 32 from Barbados.
Here is some reference data from Elance, the quantity of freelancers registered with them for the respective country. Keep in the mind that while the overall numbers are relatively small, at least compared to the population or other larger scale, it only represents stats from one source, with the actual number potentially being much larger.
Here are the highest ones, there’s many more in the +30 different islands if looking for somewhere specific.
- Dominican Republic: 1,855
- Puerto Rico: 1,513
- Total: 3,368
Mexico and Central America
You can do a search for other locations, such as Belize, El Salvador, Honduras and Nicaragua.
- Mexico: 8,111
- Costa Rica: 1,452
- Guatemala: 1,140
- Panama: 615
- Total: 11,318
Surprisingly or not, Brazil is not the highest in South America.
- Argentina: 8,832
- Brazil: 8,276
- Colombia: 4,186
- Peru: 1,954
- Chile: 1,886
- Venezuela: 1,721
- Uruguay: 1,612
- Ecuador: 1,092
- Bolivia: 794
- Total: 30,353
For any entrepreneurs or freelancers looking for an Internet tool to help organize some of their activities, you can consider an Odysen solution for doing so. Some of the highlights include:
- Multiple Networks: Create as many networks as you need for free, invite whomever you feel is appropriate for each. This can be helpful to have one network for your colleagues as well as separate networks for the different clients you’re involved with.
- Useful Applications: Use to organize projects, share different types of files, schedule events, share notes, feedback and store relevant websites or blogs for reference.
- Languages Available: Besides English, use in Spanish, Portuguese, French, Dutch, German, Italian, Chinese and others if needed.
- Economical: Everyone can start with the Basic plan for free, getting the ability to create networks, use the applications and initial storage for your files.