Here’s some interesting trivia for travelers, the different places in the world that receive more visitors or tourists in a year than the actual population. These are the sorts of places were sometimes it feels like 90% of the people you meet are not from the area. After all, even though it might be only 50/50 in some places, the visitors are usually the ones out and about and likewise making it feel like a bit of different place.
In general you’ll see a couple trends that may seem obvious, but worth pointing out nonetheless.
- Relatively smaller populations: Obviously it’s easier with lower populations, such as island with 10,000 people versus China with 1.3 Billion. A majority of the list is under 10 Million with the exceptions of France and Spain.
- Islands: Most of them are Islands. Perhaps combined with the smaller populations along with a usual mix of warm weather, beaches and no shortage of recreational activities.
Here’s the list, organized in their respective areas:
- Iceland: Population 0.3M, Tourists 7.0M. This is a whopping 23 tourists for every person in Iceland, the highest difference of any country worldwide.
- Andorra: Population 0.1M, Tourists, 1.9M, Tourists per Person 22.
- Monaco: Population 0.03M, Tourists, 0.3M, Tourists per Person 10.
- San Marino: Population 0.03M, Tourists, 0.16M, Tourists per Person 5.3.
- Malta: Population 0.4M, Tourists, 1.4M, Tourists per Person 3.5.
- Austria: Population 8M, Tourists, 23M, Tourists per Person 2.9.
- Croatia: Population 5M, Tourists, 9.9M, Tourists per Person 2.
- Estonia: Population 1.3M, Tourists, 2.5M, Tourists per Person 1.9.
- Montenegro: Population 0.7M, Tourists, 1.2M, Tourists per Person 1.7.
- Denmark: Population 5.5M, Tourists, 8.7M, Tourists per Person 1.6.
- Greece: Population 11M, Tourists, 16.4M, Tourists per Person 1.5.
- Liechtenstein: Population 0.04M, Tourists, 0.05M, Tourists per Person 1.3.
- Spain: Population 47M, Tourists, 57M, Tourists per Person 1.2.
- France: Population 66M, Tourists, 80M, Tourists per Person 1.2.
North America and the Caribbean
- British Virgin Islands: Population 0.03M, Tourists, 0.34M, Tourists per Person 11.3.
- Sint Maarten: Population 0.04M, Tourists, 0.42M, Tourists per Person 10.5.
- Aruba: Population 0.1M, Tourists, 0.87M, Tourists per Person 8.7.
- Turks and Caicos Islands: Population 0.5M, Tourists, 0.35M, Tourists per Person 7.
- Cayman Islands: Population 0.05M, Tourists, 0.31M, Tourists per Person 6.2.
- US Virgin Islands: Population 0.1M, Tourists, 0.54M, Tourists per Person 5.4.
- Anguilla: Population 0.015M, Tourists, 0.07M, Tourists per Person 4.7.
- Bonaire: Population 0.02M, Tourists, 0.07M, Tourists per Person 3.5.
- Bermuda: Population 0.07M, Tourists, 0.24M, Tourists per Person 3.4.
- Bahamas: Population 0.4M, Tourists, 1.3M, Tourists per Person 3.3.
- Antigua and Barbuda: Population 0.09M, Tourists, 0.24M, Tourists per Person 2.7.
- Curacao: Population 0.15M, Tourists, 0.39M, Tourists per Person 2.6.
- Saint Kitts and Nevis: Population 0.05M, Tourists, 0.1M, Tourists per Person 2.
- Barbados: Population 0.3M, Tourists, 0.57M, Tourists per Person 1.9.
- Saint Lucia: Population 0.16M, Tourists, 0.3M, Tourists per Person 1.9.
- Martinique: Population 0.4M, Tourists, 0.5M, Tourists per Person 1.3.
- Macau: Population 0.6M, Tourists, 12.9M, Tourists per Person 21.5.
- Hong Kong: Population 7.2M, Tourists, 22.3M, Tourists per Person 3.1.
- Maldives: Population 0.4M, Tourists, 0.9M, Tourists per Person 2.3.
- Cyprus: Population 1.1M, Tourists, 2.4M, Tourists per Person 2.2.
- Singapore: Population 5.3M, Tourists, 10.4M, Tourists per Person 2.
- Seychelles: Population 0.1M, Tourists, 0.19M, Tourists per Person 1.9.
- Guam: Population 0.2M, Tourists, 1.2M, Tourists per Person 6.
- Palau: Population 0.02M, Tourists, 0.11M, Tourists per Person 5.5.
- Cook Islands: Population 0.02M, Tourists, 0.1M, Tourists per Person 5.
- Northern Marianas: Population 0.1M, Tourists, 0.4M, Tourists per Person 4.
Benefits with having your own networks for traveling
If you visit or are planning to visit any of these places, here’s a few benefits you get from having own network to help organize your travels.
- Share your networks with whomever you feel is appropriate. This could be having separate networks for different groups that you travel with or just using to help organize trips for yourself.
- Add folders for different locations, with sub-folders for cities, smaller towns or relevant activities. See an integrated view of any content from respective parent folders.
- With folders you can include content in the applications, such as local websites, blogs, actions for tasks to do beforehand, events and storing photos or videos from previous trips.
- Others can add comments for feedback, you can stay informed of new content by checking your Updates stream when logged in or adding Newsletters to stay informed by email.
- Use in your preferred language, including Bulgarian, Cantonese, Mandarin, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Malay, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese.